Advair Diskus Inhaler Patient Information
Advair Diskus is a dry powder asthma inhaler (DPI), mainly used for long-term treatment of asthma and ongoing lung diseases, such as COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). The medications being used in Advair Diskus are fluticasone and salmeterol. Fluticasone is a steroid which reduces inflammation and swelling of the airways. Salmeterol is a long-acting beta agonist, which helps to open the constricted airways and make breathing easier. Both of these medications are known to deliver their effects over extended periods of time - they will not be as effective in instant relief of symptoms, which is why Advair Diskus is not recommended as an asthma attack relief medication.
Instructions on How to Use Advair Diskus
When you first take out your Advair Diskus out of its package, write in the "Pouch Opened" (fig. 5) and "Use By" (fig. 6) fields. First one is the date when you start using the inhaler, and the second one is the date it will become empty, which is exactly 30 days after the first date. When you buy advair diskus inhaler online or from a local pharmacy, make sure you purchase the one with appropriate dosage (fig. 3).
Unlike pressurized MDIs, Advair Diskus does not require any priming before you start using it. However, you have to make sure that the medication has not expired if you were not using the same device for a long period of time. Advair Diskus has a dose indicator (fig. 2) that allows you to know exactly how many doses remain.
To Use Advair Diskus:
- The Diskus should be in a closed position before you use it. Hold the device in a horizontal position with one hand, and open it by pushing on the thumbgrip (fig. 7) with the thumb of your other hand, until you can see the mouthpiece (fig. 4) and the device snaps into position.
- Keep holding the device in a horizontal position with the mouthpiece pointed towards you. Carefully slide the lever (fig. 1) with your other hand away from you until it clicks.
- The inhaler is now ready to use. Take a deep breath, exhaling away from the device.
- Put the mouthpiece to your lips and take a single sharp inhale through your mouth. Do not breath with your nose or exhale into the device.
- Move the device away from you.
- Hold your breath for about 10 seconds, or for as long as you feel comfortable. Slowly exhale and breathe normally.
- Close the Diskus by pressing on the thumbgrip, sliding it into the other direction. The lever will automatically return to its original position.
- Rinse your mouth with water and spit it out without swallowing.